Position Overarching Goal: Provide effective and timely communications and operations support for the USAID Local Capacity Development (LCD) project team, to facilitate smooth development of deliverables and contribute to the full success of the project.
Candidate Sought: Highly motivated young professional with excellent organization, initiative, teamwork, English language (written and verbal), and emerging leadership skills. Masters in communications, journalism, English or related field preferred. Recent Masters graduate preferred.
Period Covered: Full-time (August 2017- June 2019)
Project Background: The Local Capacity Development (LCD) project in Ethiopia is a fundamental initiative of USAID/Ethiopia to build the capacity of diverse USAID local Ethiopian Implementing Partner (LIP) organizations, which are primarily Ethiopian Civil Society Organizations (CSOs)advancing Ethiopia’s development objectives in health, education, economic growth, or other areas. LCD supports these organizations to achieve their full potential by addressing critical gaps in financial management, project management, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and sustainability. Insufficient skills, systems, and performance in these areas severely limit the ability of LIPs to manage donor resources and implement development programs to the standard required by USAID and other donors and partners. LCD plays a critical role in developing the LIP capacities by identifying organizational capacity gaps, developing adaptive and actionable plans to provide targeted technical interventions and training to build capacity in partnership with LIP management, and ensuring the successful delivery and uptake of this assistance.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities: The Communications Program Associate, in coordination with LCD’s Communications Manager, Program Associates and technical staff shall be responsible for:
- Preparing and drafting technical and narrative deliverables for project staff’s input ensuring clear deadlines are set and communicated to comply with the project’s deliverables schedule
- Preparing irregular and ad-hoc reports or other contract deliverables
- Setting and following up with a clear schedule for team members to ensure timely submission of write-ups for written reports including Organizational Capacity Assessments, Capacity Development Plans and other ad-hoc reports/deliverables
- Copy editing and providing first revisions on all drafted reports including, but not limited to, Organizational Capacity Assessments, Capacity Development Plans and other ad-hoc reports/deliverables to ensure correct spelling, grammar, formatting, and congruency of thought prior to the Communications Manager’s review
- Scheduling communications-related meetings, trainings, technical assistance, etc. in coordination with the Program Associates while ensuring that promised deliverables are met
- Making necessary logistical arrangements to support each communications event
- Ensuring that the LCD communications and sustainability-related engagements with LIPs and clients are recorded and updated in LCD’s database consistently and in a timely manner
- Regularly gathering ideas for and drafting success stories highlighting LCD activities with the supervision of the Communications Manager
- As needed, developing communications-related training materials and supportingleading select communications-related training, technical assistance and support by providing ideas, research and training assistance
- Assessing organizational capacity of individual organizational needs using the revised OCA tool as requested
- Supporting other operational tasks in coordination with the Program Associates as needed
- Answering office phone line with respect and efficiency, directing each caller to the desired team member
- Supporting other tasks as directed by the Communications Manager and Project Coordinator
Location, Conditions and Hours of Work: Employment will be in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Work will be conducted in a normal office environment.
Required Qualifications: The Employee shall have the following minimum qualifications to be considered for this consultancy:
- Recent MA graduate in communications, journalism, English, or other related field (or a minimum of 2 years of professional experience with BA in similar field)
- Demonstrated work ethic, leadership, great attitude and eagerness for self-improvement
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple schedules
- Verified excellent academic credentials
- Proven excellent writing ability, able to proofread documents for English errors, grammar, and consistency in thought
- Basic understanding of USAID communications requirements and program assistance with a willingness to learn
- Proficiency in English required. Strong written and or spoken Amharic skills preferred
Interested/qualified candidates should send their CV and over letter to Asnat Mulugeta firstname.lastname@example.org