Senior MEL Specialist (Director Level)
Position: Senior MEL Specialist (Director Level), MELA Jordan
Location: Amman, Jordan
Reporting to: Deputy Chief of Party, MELA Jordan
Main Purpose: Kaizen is seeking an experienced Senior Monitoring and Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist (Director Level) to provide monitoring and evaluation (M&E) technical services for a multi-year contract with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) mission in Jordan. This is a long-term position based in Amman, Jordan.
The Jordan Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Activity (MELA) assists USAID/Jordan to create a dynamic learning environment among development actors that is focused on innovation, quality, and knowledge sharing. MELA is designed to ensure USAID’s activities in Jordan achieve their intended results through monitoring and evaluation, strategic assessments, and USAID’s Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting approach (CLA). MELA provides USAID with high-quality MEL services across its portfolio, builds the capacity of local MEL institutions, and ensures programs incorporate local participation.
The Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist (Director Level) is responsible for planning and implementing activities set out in the work plan. This person must assist and coordinate with the Chief of Party to incorporate all activities in one coherent work plan for the project. This person must demonstrate professional excellence in their technical areas of expertise, excellent writing ability, fluency in English, effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to resolve work issues with senior country counterparts, donor representatives, and senior-level staff. They must have experience in relevant technical, management, administrative, and capacity building experience in developing countries.
The individual will oversee, recruit for, and participate in evaluations and assessments throughout the life of the contract. The Senior MEL Specialist (Director Level) may also serve as the evaluation team leader of select evaluations conducted under this contract to be identified.
Further duties and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, sequencing, and implementing all activities set out in the work plan
- Serving as the evaluation team leader of select evaluations under this contract
- Designing methodologies, detailed SOWs, data collection tools, performance monitoring plans, etc.
- Providing MEL strategy, feedback, and technical assistance to evaluation project teams, including technical reviews of draft evaluation reports, evaluation methodology, data collection tools, and other deliverables.
- Contributing to the production of reports, MEL trainings and webinars, and other deliverables for the Contracting Office
- Assisting with data analysis and presentation of data findings
- Overseeing a technical team of MEL and Knowledge Management specialists
- Overseeing subcontractors and consultants participating in data collection, delivery, and reporting
- Supporting the planning, budgeting, and logistics for MEL activities and capacity building trainings
- In collaboration with USAID, identifying training needs for program monitoring within the mission and amongst local implementing partners
- Assisting with strengthening the capacity of local MEL professionals and organizations through coaching, on-the-job trainings, and webinars.
- An advanced university degree in international relations, economics, statistics, political science, public policy, or other relevant field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in monitoring, evaluation, and learning positions.
- Experience in the following is highly desirable:
- Preparing and delivering training and training materials
- Indicator development, data collection and analysis, data quality assessments, and/or performance monitoring and reporting
- Creating and managing performance monitoring plans
- Designing performance and impact evaluations of development interventions
- Designing and field testing surveys and other data collection instruments
- Familiarity with USAID policies relating to evaluation and performance management
- Strong written and oral communication, and excellent interpersonal skills.
For candidates applying for positions based in Kaizen's office in Washington, DC, we utilize career.place to mitigate bias in the recruitment process. Upon submitting an application, candidates will receive an email from career.place, prompting them to go through the anonymous screening. In order to be considered for a role, candidates must respond to career.place and proceed with the application. We do not currently use career.place for project positions outside of the United States.
At Kaizen, A Tetra Tech Company, we find strength in our diversity. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential. We know that we can only do development differently if we are open to and inclusive of new and unique perspectives. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations to apply. Further, we urge parents and non-parents, married and unmarried, those from different or non-traditional educational backgrounds, and persons of all other diverse identities or experiences to apply. Kaizen is an equal opportunity employer.