COP and DCOP for Pakistan Climate Smart Agriculture
Kaizen, A Tetra Tech Company (Kaizen), is an incubator for innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. Our proven solutions catalyze locally driven, organizational, and institutional performance improvements, and shift the development model into one that is bottom-up and sustainable. We leverage existing knowledge along with new technologies and innovative business models to support local reform that is sustained through market forces. As a member of Tetra Tech, Kaizen can leverage the considerable resources and technical expertise of over 21,000 employees globally.
Scope and Objectives
Kaizen is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) and Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an anticipated $16M, four-year USAID/Pakistan Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) Activity starting on/around August 2023. The overarching objective of the CSA Activity is sustainable growth in the agricultural sector through private sector investment. This objective will be achieved through three sub-objectives:
- Identify/introduce and promote CSA technologies and practices for adaptation.
- Increase the resilience and coping capacity of smallholder farmers; with consideration to women involved in agriculture value chain, identifying, highlighting, and addressing the challenges faced by women in the wake of climate change (CC) and in adapting the CSA techniques.
- Create an enabling environment to promote public and private sector investment in research and innovation systems, leverage resources and build synergies to amplify impact, and strengthen institutional response to CC.
The COP and DCOP will be based in Pakistan, and positions are subject to successful bid and award of contract.
Pakistani nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
- Overall responsibility for assuring that all assistance provided under the contract is technically sound and appropriate to meet the project objectives
- Drives the achievement of program results by ensuring the provision of timely, relevant, high-quality services
- Serve as the primary point of contact with USAID on day-to-day activity technical implementation and program management
- Lead work planning and oversee all project management systems including finance and administration, human resources
- Ensure the USAID compliance and integrity of program operations
- Supervise senior staff including hiring, mentoring local staff, and consultant engagement
- Establish good working relationships with government, institutions, private sector stakeholders, and research institutes. Other duties as required.
- Support the COP by providing technical leadership to ensure that technical assistance under the contract is sound and appropriate with meeting the project objectives
- Supervise the implementation of project activities in the field and closely coordinate with local partners and institutes.
- Serve as secondary point of contact with USAID, and serves as COP in the absence of COP to ensure continuation of technical implementation and program management
- Collaborate with COP and other technical experts support to the program and staff to ensure that goals and deliverables are met on time and according with the purpose, objectives, and expected results of the activity.
- Other duties as required.
- At least 8 - 12 years of experience in managing and implementing programs focused on climate change, agriculture, climate adaptation technologies, food security, agriculture market systems, private sector investment, and/or other related fields for international development or private sectors organizations.
- A Master’s Degree in climate sciences, agriculture, environmental policies, or related field.
- Strong management and leadership skills, including the ability to mentor staff.
- Demonstrated results in strengthening enabling environments to promote public and private sector investment in research and innovation systems to address climate change in the agriculture sector.
- Experience of managing research work directly or indirectly, or experience of dealing with research institutes.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with peers, donor agencies, and government stakeholders, and other stakeholders in the agriculture sector (e.g., extension agents, smallholder cooperatives, input suppliers, agricultural exporters, local government ministries, aggregators, research organizations, other private sector agriculture actors).
- Knowledge of and experience working with climate adaptation and mitigation, climate technologies for agriculture, and market systems.
- Demonstrated experience increasing the resilience and productive capacity of women along agricultural value chains.
- Previous leadership experience on USAID-funded projects (preferred).
- Prior experience working in and understanding of Pakistan cultural context, particularly in the agricultural sector.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English is required.
- Fluency in Urdu (preferred).
For candidates applying for positions based in Kaizen's office in Washington, DC, we utilize career.place to mitigate bias in the recruitment process. Upon submitting an application, candidates will receive an email from career.place, prompting them to go through the anonymous screening. In order to be considered for a role, candidates must respond to career.place and proceed with the application. We do not currently use career.place for project positions outside of the United States.
At Kaizen, A Tetra Tech Company, we find strength in our diversity. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential. We know that we can only do development differently if we are open to and inclusive of new and unique perspectives. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations to apply. Further, we urge parents and non-parents, married and unmarried, those from different or non-traditional educational backgrounds, and persons of all other diverse identities or experiences to apply. Kaizen is an equal opportunity employer.