Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Specialist
About The Kaizen Company
The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) is an international development consulting firm and an incubator for innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. Our proven solutions catalyze locally driven organizational and institutional performance improvements and establish communities of practice that facilitate peer-to-peer learning and the achievement of shared goals. We aspire to transform the nature and impact of development assistance and work to strengthen organizations and institutions through innovative approaches to organizational development, reform, and change.
Jordan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (the Activity) Overview
Jordan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (the Activity) is designed to ensure USAID’s activities in Jordan achieve their intended results through monitoring and evaluation, strategic assessments, and USAID’s Collaborating, Learning, and Adapting approach (CLA). Kaizen will help USAID/Jordan create a dynamic learning environment among development actors, focused on innovation, quality, and knowledge sharing. Through the Kaizen Accelerator, a rapid procurement mechanism, a cohort of Jordanian firms will work with the Activity to successfully deliver activities while simultaneously strengthening their management and compliance systems. The Kaizen approach will provide USAID with high-quality MEL services across its portfolio, build the capacity of local MEL institutions, and ensure programs meaningfully incorporate local participation. The Activity will ensure program sustainability by building the technical and institutional capacity of one or more local firms that are capable of managing the follow-on MEL Activity in the future.
Responsibilities and Tasks
The MEL Specialist will report to and work closely with the Senior MEL Specialist overseeing activities in the work plan. Key tasks that are required under this position include reviewing Theories of Change and Activity MEL Plans from implementing partners, as well as supporting the Senior MEL Specialist in developing and sequencing evaluations, assessments, special studies, data verification, or other assignments. S/he will oversee subcontractors and consultants who carry out the work as designated by the Senior MEL Specialist.
Responsibilities and tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of specific USAID/Jordan programs and Development Objectives (DO) and work closely with USAID DO teams.
- Interact with USAID and other MEL staff to design assessments, evaluations, surveys and special studies, and develop or refine statements of work (SOWs) in accordance with USAID’s Evaluation Policy and operational guidelines.
- Support the planning, budgeting, and logistics for assessments, evaluations, surveys etc.
- Develop SOWs for consultants, and work closely with the Activity HR team to identify, interview and select suitable short-term consultants.
- Whenever required as part of an evaluation/assessment, develop SOWs for outsourcing sample surveys and qualitative research, and supervise the sub-contractor’s work to ensure the satisfactory completion of the task.
- Conduct technical review of assessments, evaluations, surveys design etc. as well as related deliverables including but not limited to inception report, data collection instruments, analysis, presentations, draft and final reports.
- Ensure the deliverables are of acceptable quality as per USAID evaluation policy and operational guidelines and report regularly on the timely and satisfactory completion of assessment, evaluations, surveys etc.
- Facilitate co-creation workshops with various stakeholder to validate findings at the end of evaluations and assessments.
- Participate in CLA activities to ensure data and key findings contribute to learning and adapting.
- Conduct technical review of Activity MEL Plans of USAID’s implementing partners. This includes review of Theory of Change, Results Frameworks, Performance Indicator Reference Sheets (PIRS) etc.
- Collect, analyze and report data against the Activity MEL indicators assigned to MEL team
- Other duties, as necessary and assigned by the Senior MEL specialist.
For candidates applying for positions based in Kaizen's office in Washington, DC, we utilize career.place to mitigate bias in the recruitment process. Upon submitting an application, candidates will receive an email from career.place, prompting them to go through the anonymous screening. In order to be considered for a role, candidates must respond to career.place and proceed with the application. We do not currently use career.place for project positions outside of the United States.
At Kaizen, A Tetra Tech Company, we find strength in our diversity. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive working environment in which everyone has an equal opportunity to fulfill their potential. We know that we can only do development differently if we are open to and inclusive of new and unique perspectives. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations to apply. Further, we urge parents and non-parents, married and unmarried, those from different or non-traditional educational backgrounds, and persons of all other diverse identities or experiences to apply. Kaizen is an equal opportunity employer.